St. Peter's Cross

Architect

Temple Moore

Date

1907-08

About the work

This work is a Portland stone cross on a stepped base, which marks the site of the demolished church of St Peter.

St Peter’s Square is named after the church that stood there until 1907 when the movement of the population to the suburbs diminished the need for so many city centre churches. The delicate gothic cross marks the spot where the altar would have stood. Other churches demolished at this time include St Clement’s, Stevenson Square, and St John’s, Byrom St, where there is a similar monument in the gardens.

Temple Moore’s cross was installed on the site of the church’s altar. The cross was unveiled in September 1908.

Inscription

THIS CROSS ERECTED IN AD 1908 RECORDS THE PLACE WHERE THE CHURCH OF ST PETER STOOD FROM A.D. 1794 TO 1907

In the collection

View the Manchester Art Gallery Online Collections page for this work.

Location & Map

The cross is located in the central garden/traffic island in St Peter's Square.

The placemarker on the map below shows the location of this monument.



View a larger version of this map.