A hexagonal granite fountain with bronze decorative features.
Commissioned in the 60th year of Queen Victoria’s reign, the fountain also commemorates the supply of Manchester’s drinking water from Thirlmere in the Lake District, a feat of Victorian engineering. The fountain was subject to some criticism and in the 1920s was moved to Heaton Park where it remained until 1986 when it was returned to Albert Square.
Round basin: ERECTED IN THE 60TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF HER MOST GRACIOUS MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA, 1897
Plaque on ground to South side of fountain: THE/QUEEN VICTORIA JUBILEE/FOUNTAIN/COMPLETED JULY 1997/FUNDED BY/MANCHESTER CITY COUNCIL/NORTH WEST WATER/EUROPEAN REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND/THIS FOUNTAIN/WAS ORIGINALLY SITED/IN THIS LOCATION/TO COMMEMORATE/THE SUPPLY OF WATER FROM/THE THIRLMERE RESERVOIR
View the Manchester Art Gallery Online Collections page for this work.
This work is located on the Princess Street side of the square in front of Manchester Town Hall.
The placemarker on the map below shows the location of the fountain.
View a larger version of this map.