Saturday 1st April 2006
A celebration of the work of Dick Bruna. 15 April - 3 September 2006. Free admission. Dutch artist Dick Bruna's world famous bunny rabbit character celebrates her 50th birthday with this family friendly, interactive exhibition.
This special exhibition celebrates the work of Dutch artist, Dick Bruna, who created his most famous character Miffy in 1955. Miffy is now a worldwide phenomenon loved by children and teens alike. She has achieved celebrity status, not just because she is the star of 28 children's story books, but because of her appeal as a chic and stylish character who helps to make sense of an increasingly complicated world.
Throughout the summer, Manchester Art Gallery is home to Miffy memorabilia, drawings and sketches, Miffy books and lots of Miffy-related things to do. There will be regular special events including puppet making at a Miffy party, the chance to meet Miffy and of course, create your own Miffy drawing.
Plus, for anyone who loves shopping, the Gallery shop will stock a dazzling range of Miffy merchandise for all ages, so you can go home with a souvenir or two. Choose from fashionable cosmetic bags and school bags or affordable pocket money goodies such as pens, key rings, notebooks and transfers. There will also be a whole range of Miffy books and gifts for smaller children, such as Miffy toys for babies, mobiles, height charts and aprons.
Fans of art and design can learn about Miffy's creator Dick Bruna, his life as a graphic artist and his early artistic influences. As well as Miffy memorabilia, drawings and sketches, the exhibition includes over one hundred artworks from Dick Bruna’s archive in Holland - on display for the first time in the UK. Exhibits include original pencil sketches plus limited edition prints, personal letters, photos and other memorabilia. The artworks provide a total retrospective of Bruna’s work.
Zoe Renilson, family programmes manager at Manchester Art Gallery, "We are thrilled that Miffy is so popular in Manchester and the exhibition is wonderful. Designed for children, teens and adults alike, you really do get wrapped up in Miffy’s world and fall in love with her all over again.”
1. For further information/and or images, please contact Tamsin Deasey at Fido PR 0161 274 3311 or email: email@example.com
2. For more information relating to Dick Bruna contact Alison Vellacott at Highlight PR on 01249 462792 or mobile 07754 834035 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Manchester Art Gallery, Mosley Street, Manchester M2 3JL. Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday: 10.00am-5.00pm. Closed Mondays, except Bank Holidays. Closed Good Friday. Tel: 0161 235 8888. Last admission 15 minutes prior to closing. Admission to the exhibition is free. www.manchestergalleries.org
4. ‘Happy Birthday Miffy!’ A Celebration of the work of Dick Bruna’ has been developed by Seven Stories, the Centre for Children’s Books, in collaboration with Mercis bv – managers of Dick Bruna’s publishing and international rights, and the Centraal Museum, Utrecht – keepers of the Bruna archive. It is at Manchester Art Gallery from 15 April to 3 September 2006, and continues touring to galleries in London and Edinburgh throughout 2006-7. For more information visit www.miffy.com.
5. Manchester Art Gallery's family programme is supported by the Museums, Libraries and Archive Council as part of the Renaissance in the Regions project.